The Metropolitan Plan for Sydney 2036
On 16 December 2010 Premier Kristina Keneally released the Metropolitan Plan for Sydney 2036. The Plan incorporates the fully funded $50.2 billion Metropolitan Transport Plan and is the first major update of the 2005 Metro Strategy.
The Metropolitan Plan projects that:
- Sydney’s population will increase from 4.28 million in the year 2006 to 5.98 million by 2036 – an increase of 40 per cent, and
- The number of Sydney homes will increase from 1.68 million in 2006 to 2.45 million by 2036 – an increase of 46 per cent.
A number of challenges flow from these projections, including:
- Planning for more suitable and affordable housing,
- More efficient transport,
- More efficient infrastructure delivery,
- Creating a more sustainable Sydney, and
- Maintaining our global competitiveness.
The Plan outlines a framework of ‘strategic directions’ to address these issues, the more significant of which are outlined below.
Click 'Download' to read the full article.