Corrs represented at the 2011 APEC Leaders’ Meeting
As one of only three Prime Ministerial representatives on the APEC Business Advisory Council (ABAC), John was involved in key areas of the meeting including:
- Co-chairing a session at the Leaders’ Dialogue with the President of the United States, Barack Obama; the President of Indonesia; the Prime Ministers of Japan, Canada and Singapore; and senior business leaders on Regional Economic Integration.
- Launching three initiatives – Regional Funds Management Passport, Infrastructure Development Pathway and financing for SMEs and SMMEs.
- Addressing the Finance Ministers from 21 Pacific Rim countries at the Finance Ministers’ Dialogue.
- Commenting on the current economic outlook at the ABAC Meetings.
- Chairing the Finance and Economics Working Group which was used to finalise the issues and discussions at both the Leaders’ Dialogue and Finance Ministers’ Dialogue.
- Speaking at the Trans-Pacific Partnership Business Leaders Conference and the CEO Summit.
- Speaking at the 2011 Australian APEC Study Centre Conference, “Is Australia Managing? The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis and the Outlook for Australia’s Trade and Competitiveness”, on Australia’s trade performance in Asia.
- Speaking at the APEC Investment Publication Seminar on the importance of investor state dispute mechanisms.
- Meeting with Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Minister for Trade Dr Craig Emerson with fellow ABAC Representatives, Lindsay Fox and Mark Johnson.
- A meeting with JPMorgan EVP (Head of Corporate Responsibility) Peter Scher; the former Mayor of Chicago, Richard Daley; and JPMorgan Managing Director & Chairman of Global Markets (China) Jing Ulrich.
“The topics discussed during the Leaders’ Meeting was particularly relevant, given recent economic developments in Europe,” says John W.H. Denton. “The issues around trade and the development of regional trade agreements help to protect Australia and the Asia-Pacific region.”
APEC is a forum for 21 Pacific Rim countries that seeks to promote free trade and economic cooperation throughout the Asia-Pacific region. The annual APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting is attended by the heads of government of all APEC members.
Attendees of APEC USA 2011 included President of the United States, Barack Obama; Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Minister for Trade Dr Craig Emerson; the former Mayor of Chicago, Richard Daley; fellow ABAC Representatives, Lindsay Fox and Mark Johnson; and Executive Vice President (Head of Corporate Responsibility) Peter Scher and Managing Director & Chairman of Global Markets (China) Jing Ulrich from JPMorgan.
Australia & Asia Pacific
Australia stands at an interesting place on the global stage. In this issues hub, our experts identify the big issues and discuss long-term strategies for understanding the complex relationship we have with the Asian market and the opportunities that are available both within and outside our borders.Back to topic index